Aegean is a Greek regional airline that is a member of the Star Alliance. Aegean has a fairly nice Star Alliance award chart, makes it fairly easy to obtain Star Alliance Status, and is generous for crediting Star Alliance partner flights to Aegean.
Seat Maps by Plane: SeatGuru
Earning and Using Points
Transfer Partners: You can transfer from Marriott at a 3 (Marriott) to 1 airline point transfer ratio. You can also get an additional 5,000 airline points bonus if you transfer in increments of 60,000 Marriott points. (e.g., 60,000 Marriott points become 25,000 airline points, whereas if you only transfer 59,000 Marriott points, you would only get 19,667 airline points).
Using Points: Aegean's award chart is below. However, Aegean passes on must fuel surcharges, so target low fuel surcharge partner airlines. Additionally, you can only search award availability if you have enough points in your account for a ticket you want. Therefore, you should search with United, Air Canada, or ANA's systems to search award space and call before you transfer any Marriott points.
Star Alliance Partners: Adria, Air Canada, Air China, Air India, Air New Zealand, ANA, Asiana, Austrian, Avianca, Brussels Airlines, Copa, Croatia Airlines, Egyptair, Ethiopian, EVA Air, LOT Polish Airlines, Lufthansa, SAS, Shenzhen Airlines, Singapore Airlines, South African Airways, Swiss, TAP Portugal, THAI, Turkish Airlines, and United.
Award Sweet Spots (pricing below as roundtrip; one-way is half the cost)
- North America to Europe/North Africa/Israel- 90,000 for business and 120,000 for first class.
- North America to Central & South Africa-110,000 for business and 150,000 for first class
- North America to Oceania-150,000 in business class
- Within Regions- Most regions cost 25,000 points for economy and 42,000 for business class (12,500 one-way and 21,000 one-way). Aegean's region definitions are fairly large, so you can maximize that. Some examples are
- Singapore to Tokyo is within "Far East" and a 7 hour flat in lie flat seats.
- Perth to Tahiti is within Oceania and 11 hours in lie flight seats if you can find award space on Air New Zealand. (Unfortunately, no Star Alliance airline flies from Oceania to Easter Island)
Layovers- You are only allowed one layover per direction. This can potentially limit some of your routings.
Online Search- Aegean now allows you to book Star Alliance awards online. However, you need the miles required to see the potential awards and the system will produce an error if one of the flights could be flown on Aegean (e.g., you are flying to or through Greece)
- Earning: 12,000 points on Aegean and/or Olympic and fly twice with them within 12 months; OR 24,000 points flying with another airline and crediting to Aegean. To retain, you need to fly two flights on Aegean and/or Olympic; OR 16,000 points flying with another airline and crediting to Aegean.
- Aegean Benefits: 2 Seat upgrades, 10% more miles on Aegean flights, and access to lounges.
- Star Alliance Benefits: Priority reservations waitlist and priority standby.
- Earning: 36,000 points on Aegean and/or Olympic and fly twice with them within 12 months; OR 72,000 points flying with another airline and crediting to Aegean. To retain, you need to fly four flights plus 12,000 points on Aegean and/or Olympic, OR 24,000 points flying with another airline and crediting to Aegean.
- Aegean Benefits: 4 Seat upgrades, 20% more miles on Aegean flights, and access to lounges.
- Star Alliance Benefits: Access to Star Alliance lounges, extra free bags, priority check-in, priority boarding, priority reservations waitlist, priority baggage handling, and priority standby.
Star Alliance Award Chart
The number of points is for roundtrip travel. For one-way travel, divide by two. Y equals economy, C equals business class, and F equals first class. Stopovers are not allowed.
Star Alliance Upgrade Chart