I highly recommend having one version of the Platinum card if you fly several times per year. You should start with the standard Platinum just in case American Express decides at a later date to include some versions of the card as the same card (e.g. some datapoints indicate the standard and Amerprise Platinum are considered the same product). Then move on to other versions of the card. The annual fee is high, but you when factor in the great benefits it is worth it ($200 annual airline credit (can use twice during the first year), $200 Uber credit, access to the amazing Centurion Lounges, and access to other lounges)
Different Version of the American Express Platinum
Platinum Business Platinum Ameriprise Platinum Morgan Stanley Schwab Platinum Link Application Link Application Link Application Link Application Link Application Link Target Bonus 100,000 100,000 0 60,000 60,000 Current Bonus 60,000 75,000 0 60,000 60,000 Annual Fee $550 $4595 $0 first year, $550 thereafter $550 $550 Authorized User Fee $175 for up to 3 people $300 per Platinum user or free Green card users. Free authorized users the first year $175 for up to 3 people $175 for up to 3 people Unique Qualities 1.5x on eligible purchases above $5,000, 35% bonus when you pay for an eligible flight on Amextravel.com using points, and 10 GoGo In-flight Wifi passes; $200 Dell Credit; Platinum Global Access from WeWork Earn an additional 5,000 Membership Rewards points for every $20,000 in eligible purchases, up to 30,000 additional points per calendar year. You do not need an Ameriprise account. You can also cancel after your first year and reapply within a month for another waived annual fee. You need an Morgan Stanley account; Can transfer points to Morgan Stanley brokerage account for 1 CPP and $500 bonus if you spend $100,000. Extra $100 bonus if you have $250,000 at Schwab or $200 extra bonus if you have greater than $1 million at Schwab; can transfer membership rewards to Schwab at 1.25 cents per point, and need a Schwab bank or brokerage account. Points on Flights 5x directly with Airline 5x only on AmexTravel.com 5x directly with Airline 5x directly with Airline 5x directly with Airline Points on Hotels 5x only on AmexTravel.com 5x only on AmexTravel.com 5x only on AmexTravel.com 5x only on AmexTravel.com 5x only on AmexTravel.com Uber Credits $15 per month January to November; $35 in December; Uber VIP Status None $15 per month January to November; $35 in December; Uber VIP Status $15 per month January to November; $35 in December; Uber VIP Status $15 per month January to November; $35 in December; Uber VIP Status Airfare Credit $200 $200 $200 $200 $200 $100 Saks Credit $100 None $100 $100 $100 $200 Dell Credit None Yes None None None WeWork Access None Yes None None None
You can earn 5x on Airfare booked directly with airlines or Amextravel.com, and 5x on hotels on amextravel.com or the Fine Hotels program. You earn 1x points everywhere else.
It can be very worthwhile to add authorized users (up to 3 for $175 total) since authorized users have access to many of the benefits as the primary cardholder.
- Included Benefits: Airport Lounge access (Centurion, Escape, Airspace, Delta (when flying Delta), and Priority Pass (must request that their account be created); Global Entry or TSA Pre-Check (worth $300 if all three people sign up); Elite Status (Hilton/SPG/Marriott Gold and National Car Rental Executive (mid-tier status)). and Fine Hotels.
- Excluded Benefits: $200 airfare credit (but spending on AU cards counts towards primary account) and $200 Uber credit.
Military Fee Waiver
Any U.S. military member on active duty or the reserves (or National Guard under a call or order to active duty for more than 30 consecutive days) can get the annual fee for the Platinum card waived. Additionally, the annual fee is waived for any active duty member registered as an authorized user (e.g., if a father adds his active duty son or daughter as an authorized user, the father's account would also get the waiver). All you need to do is request the waiver from American Express, who uses an automated system linked to the Department of Defense to verify your eligibility.
Triggering the 100,000 Point Platinum Bonus
Due to American Express' lifetime language, you should really wait until a 100,o00 point bonus for the standard personal Platinum card rather than the 60,000 points bonus that The Points Guy constantly promotes. Below are several ways that you could possibly trigger the 100,000 bonus.
Several times a year the website CardMatch.com will offer targeted people a 100,000 bonus for the American Express Platinum. If you are targeted, you will see a "Cardmatch Special Offers" tab on your left side.
I got started with collecting points with a leaked link 100,000 Platinum card. We will post when a leaked link is available, but there has not been a leaked link in the past six months. If there is one available, (1) you should apply immediately, (2) only put legitimate spending on the card, and (3) and spend an extra $500 or so on the card. American Express hates when people use the leaked links, therefore, you can expect all of your transactions to get scrutinized and your membership rewards balance may be frozen while they conduct their 8-week review.
This trick is a little complicated, but the best shot at triggering the 100,000 bonus or other good bonuses for other cards. First, delete your cookies from your browser and then open up an incognito window. Visit this link for American Express' Prequalified Offers Page. On this page you want American Express to be able to match you to your credit score, but you do not want American Express to match you as an existing customer. You can accomplish this by misspelling your name and address. For example, a person name Clyde Johnson may instead enter Clyd Johnso or Becky Johnson may change enter Becki Johnson. Your address is less important, but you can try leaving off the word road/drive/blvd or leaving off the apartment number.
- Unsuccessful- If you are asked to log in to American Express, you failed. American Express recognized you as a customer. Try again with another misspelling or variation on your name.
- Unsuccessful- If you are not asked to log in but get the message "we could not find Pre-Qualified Offers for you at this time. Based on your interests, we recommend the following Cards for you" that means that neither American Express or your credit score were matched. Therefore, you varied your name and address too much.
- Successful- If you are not asked to log in and you get the message “[insert first name here], we have found the following Pre-Qualified Card offers for you. These offers are only available here. We invite you to apply for one today" you were successful in the misspelling trick. Here, you should see the best incognito offers for you. Hopefully one is a 100,000 platinum or another card at or above the target bonus we recommend on our other pages.
- Note: You can expect that any misspelling that you enter may be added to your credit report. You can go back later and ask the credit bureau to remove this spelling from your file.
For the Business Platinum, people have had some luck in the past calling 1-800-971-6736 or 1-877-628-6736 and asking American Express whether the 100,000 bonus is available to you.
Wait for an Offer
If none of the above ways work for you, you could wait for a 100,000 bonus. In the meantime, you could open up one of the other versions of the American Express Platinum, get that versions bonus, and wait for the 100,000 point bonus to come back around.